During the course you will make your own folding Laguiole knife, from start to finish, with the help of an experienced professional knife maker who will assist you throughout the course.
Making your own Laguiole pocket knife will be for you an unforgettable day, an extraordinary experience.
You will enjoy using your Laguiole knife every day as it gradually acquires a patina through use.
This course is available to French speakers only.
Who is it for ?
A course is composed of a maximum of 4 trainees (a course of 5 people is possible for a family or a group of friends).
Reservations can be made for one or more trainees. If necessary, we will complete the course with other trainees.
Anyone who knows how to tinker a minimum and is a little skilled with their hands: beginner or advanced in order to immerse themselves in the gestures (bring a camera for souvenirs). For minors, minimum 16 years of age with the presence of an adult trainee mandatory (and written derogation of both parents).
Provide adequate clothing for working in a workshop (avoid shorts and open shoes; we provide an apron). It is not messy. Just a little dust.
All year round, Monday through Saturday
8 to noon and 2 to 5 p.m /6 p.m.
Coutellerie de Laguiole Honoré Durand
Espace les Cayres (roundabout)
Schedule for indicative purposes only
Welcome by your workshop instructor - 8.30 a.m.
Choosing type of chiseling for the bee and the spring - 9 to 9:10 a.m.
Chiseling the bee and the spring with a file - 9:10 to noon
Lunch break : noon to 2 p.m.
Fitting the wood pieces to the liners, drilling them and screwing them on, shepherd’s cross, riveting of blade and spring - 2 to 4 p.m.
Crafting the backstand, buffing, sharpening, end of the workshop - 4:10 to 5 p.m. /6 p.m.
The company has insurance cover for this type of service but we ask each workshop participant to sign a disclaimer that confirms that the company assumes no liability in case of an accident. This also serves as an invoice for the service we provide in assisting participants to make knives on our premises. Moreover, it is your responsibility to attend the course.
Reservations: with Virginie (in case of absence, ask for Christophe or Honoré). Virginie manages the knifemaker's calendar and availability.
We need the following items 15 days before the start of the course:
- the dimension of the knife (reminder: the length expresses the dimension of the handle in centimetres)
- the quality of the bolsters: brass or stainless steel (they are massive)
- the number of pieces: either 1 piece blade only or 2 pieces blade and corkscrew.
- the quality of the blade: either traditional carbon steel (XC75) or Sandvik stainless steel (12C27). We do not recommend the Damascus steel blade because it is too expensive for a first knife.
- the quality of the handle: either Rosewood or Purplewood or Juniper or Ebony or Horn tip or Olivewood (for any other handle, ask us for a quote).
We ask you to provide us with the surnames, first names and addresses of the people who will carry out the course. For minors, we need the written parental consent (without it, access to the course is forbidden, but the deposit cheque for them is cashed).
The price does not include meals or accommodation (for addresses, please contact us).
Choice of the Laguiole knife kit
The manufacture is done on models comprising a bee forged with the spring. The chiseling of the bee and the spring are made with files by the trainee.
Choosing the handle length :
- 11 cm
- 12 cm
- 13 cm
Choosing the number of functions
- 1 piece, blade only (11 cm, 12 cm, 13 cm)
- 2 pieces, blade and corkscrew (12 cm)
Choosing the steel for the blade :
- 12C27 Sandvik stainless steel (optional Sandvik 14C28 stainless steel)
- XC75 carbon steel
Chossing the bolsters :
- 2 stainless steel bolsters with matt finish
- 2 stainless steel bolsters with shiny finish
- 2 brass bolsters with shiny finish
Choosing the handle :
- Wood : rosewood, purplewood, juniper, ebony, olivewood. For any other material, ask us for a quote.
- Horn tip
The tariff is composed of 2 parts which add up (price per trainee) :
- A teaching part : 258,85€ TTC
- Part of the purchase of the kit
11 cm, blade only : 44,50€
12 cm, blade only : 47,70€
13 cm, blade only : 58,95€
12 cm, blade and corkscrew : 49,35€
We do not do courses with the models and options below because they are too complex:
- Laguiole knife with 1 bolster or full-handle
- Laguiole knife with balde, corkscrew and awl
- Handles made of precious materials (mammoth molar, precious wood)
- Blades with a Brut de Forge finish and damascus steel blades
- Spring engraving